Welcome to Toronto!
Please review the following information to help make your stay in Toronto an enjoyable one!
This year, RECE is being held at Ryerson University (350 Victoria St.) located in downtown Toronto. The campus is conveniently located on the Yonge subway line between College and Dundas Stations.
- The official conference hotel is the Courtyard by Marriott Toronto Downtown located at 475 Yonge Street. The evening social Tuesday October 24, and the dinner Thursday evening October 26 are held at this location.
- An alternative hotel within close distance is the Delta Chelsea Hotel, 33 Gerrard St. West.
- Plenary sessions will be held at the Toronto Central Grosvenor Street YMCA Centre, 20 Grosvenor Street.
- Breakout session are in the Sheila Horsfall Eaton Centre for Studies in Community Health (SHE), 99 Gerrard St. East, on the Ryerson University Campus.
- All venues are within easy walking distance.
Please visit the Government of Canada website for more information about whether you may need a visitor visa to attend the conference. Information can be accessed at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp
October is considered part of the fall season in Canada, and here in Toronto, daytime temperatures usually range between 10 – 15 degrees Celsius, with overnight temperatures ranging from the single digits to 0 degrees Celsius.
It is advisable to pack the following:
- Warm sweaters
- Closed toe shoes
- Scarf or shawl
- Long pants
Sightseeing & Tourist Attractions
There are many wonderful tourist attractions you can access from the downtown core of the city such as:
- Royal Ontario Museum https://www.rom.on.ca/en
- Art Gallery of Ontario http://www.ago.net/exhibitions
- St. Lawrence Market http://www.stlawrencemarket.com/
- Toronto Island http://www.torontoisland.com/
- Kensington Market http://www.kensington-market.ca/
- There are numerous companies that offer city sightseeing tours with a hop on, hop off format – a great way to experience attractions within the downtown core.
- Blog TO is regularly updated to reflect restaurants and events in the city. It is a wonderful resource to find information on great places to dine as well as unique events happening within the city. http://www.blogto.com/
There are several options for travel in and around the city of Toronto.
- The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) Subway/Street Car/Bus – maps and schedules can be found at http://www.ttc.ca/
- Taxi (there are a wide range of taxi services)
- Uber (you will need to download the Uber app to use the service)
If you would like to add any information or have any questions, please leave a comment below. Thank you, and we look forward to seeing you at the 25th International RECE Conference!